Memories are timeless treasures of the heart.


Friday, February 20, 2015

Cannon Baby

          October 3rd, 2014 at 4:11am, I was awakened by pains shooting across my lower abdomen. Could this be the day we were going to meet Miss Ellyanna? One could only hope. At this point, I was feeling rather miserable. Sitting 8 long hours a day at work definitely took it's toll on my back and not to mention, the sciatic pains shooting down my legs. Needless to say, I was a hot mess. Or felt like one anyhow. So when those pains started, I was excited...and nervous...and anxious. I had a doctor's appointment scheduled that morning at 7:00am.

          I ate breakfast, showered, got ready, called off work, and packed my bags in the car. Matt packed his bag and took his scrubs along...you know, just in case it was a false alarm and the Doctor didn't admit us. My mom graciously came down to hang out with Mady while we went to the Doctor...and in case I would be admitted. We seriously live no more than 4 minutes from the hospital. I was about a minute away from the hospital and the contractions stopped. Ugh. At my appointment, I tell Dr. E what has been going on since 4:11, only to find out that I was only dilated 1.5cms. He suggests going home to rest. My fingers are crossed that if the baby doesn't come by 4:30pm, she waits until after the weekend, when Dr. E is back in town.

          Feeling disappointed, Matt goes to work and I go home to rest...with a 3 year old. Thankfully, with a little bribing, mom decided to hang out and babysit both Mady and I. We enjoyed sitting outside, watching Mady give her babies a bath in the sink...then Mady taking a bath in the sink...eating lunch together, and just having a lazy day. 5:00pm, she decides to go home since Matt has returned home to be on baby watch.

          5:30pm: Contractions start...again. We eat dinner and Mady and I snuggle on the couch to watch movies as I time contractions. 10-12 minutes apart...not too strong. I can handle this...for now. As the evening progresses, the contractions get stronger. but still continue to be about 10-12 minutes apart. Around 8:00pm they get a little closer...8-10 minutes apart. Shortly after 9:00pm they start to get even closer and even stronger and Matt and Mady are both passed out. I'm now flying solo on the baby watch. Shortly after 10:00pm, my contractions become very uncomfortable and are about 6-7 minutes apart. Just as I was about to get up to go call labor and delivery, another strong contraction comes on and I let myself back down on the couch. Mid contraction I feel a huge POP! followed by a warm sensation in my pants.

          I immediately yell Matt's name. Well, more like a whispering yell, only because I didn't want to wake Mady. He's dead to the world. 

Me: "matt....Matt....MAtt....MATt....MATT....MATTHEW! MATTHEW!"  (He wakes up)  "I think my water just broke!"

Matt: "Are you sure you just didn't pee yourself?"

          I convince him that I didn't and that I am 100% sure that my water just broke. He springs out off the couch and starts running around. (I love when he's woken up in the middle of a deep sleep cause he has no idea what's going on half the time.) "What do you need? What can I get?" I ask for towels, new pants and gutchies. While he's running around trying to gather those things, I call my mom and tell her my water just broke and to be on her way. We get everything gathered as my contractions continue to be about 6-7 minutes apart, but now they are to the point where it takes my breath away. We need to hurry. I couldn't wait on my mom. What are we going to do? Terry and Sandy. Our WONDERFUL neighbors and who offered on several occasions to let them know if we needed anything. Well, now we need them. Matt runs over. Meanwhile, I'm standing in the kitchen waiting for him to come back. I felt a little pressure and become more anxious. Hurry! Thank goodness we only live a very short distance from the hospital.

          We get checked in and start up in the elevator with the RN and Nursing Assistant. She asks how far along I am (39.4 weeks) and how far apart my contractions are (6-7). "We have plenty of time," she says. Matt was respectably quiet during this time. I had kind of scolded him for trying to crack jokes when I was in active labor with Mady...at the time he and his jokes were NOT funny. At all. By any means.  So up to the room we go and all the preparations are made...clothes changed, a million and half questions being asked in between contractions, monitors adjusted over my stomach, etc. Before the RN leaves the room she tells me that  I'm dilated to 3cm's and that she was going to notify the Anesthesiologist and Doctor. I vividly remember lying in bed , glancing at the clock that read 10:55, thinking, how I couldn't take much more of the pain and that I sure hoped they were hurrying as fast as they could.

          About 10:15ish, I was so miserable! I had asked the nurse if my epidural was coming anytime soon and she said that both the Doctor and Anesthesiologist were on their way. Ok, I can hang on a few more minutes. I think. Nope. Take that back. Another contraction came on. I felt so sick to my stomach...like my heart was going to burst...I didn't know what to do with myself. I didn't feel like I had any control over my body. That's when it hit me. I felt my stomach tense up tighter than it ever had. I had pressure like I had never felt before. I tell Matt that "something's wrong. It doesn't feel right. I feel like I need to push." A nurse came in shortly after and as Matt was telling her that I felt like I needed to push, the urge came again. The nurse said that she would check me again to see how far I was dilated because I had been pumping out contractions every 1 to 2 minutes.

          No wonder I felt TERRIBLE! She checks me and in the past 30 minutes I had gone from 3cms to 9cms and I was ready to push. (Told ya.) The urge to push came again. It was awful.  Naturally, I did what my body told me to do. I pushed. The nurse walks in and yells down the hall, "WE HAVE A HEAD!"  NO! Where's that epidural...and the Doctor!? I can't wait until they get here! But there's no way I can or want to do this without an epidural! The nurse tells me that I need to pant. SCREW THAT! I push again. She tells me to pant again. I try...kind of. But I end up pushing. The nurse says, "Look at all that blonde hair!" I squeeze the crap out of Matt's hand. I hear someone let out a scream or two and then realize that that someone was me. Before I know it, it's 11:47pm and baby Ellyanna shot out like a cannon and I was finally holding her in my arms! The bed wasn't even broken down for delivery. The epidural wasn't anywhere near where it should've been. The Doctor hadn't even arrived. But Elly was here. My biggest fear my entire pregnancy, other than having an awful delivery like I did with Mady, was not getting to the hospital in time to have an epidural. Looking back, it really wasn't that bad. But would I want to go o'nautral again? Absolutely not! Props to all you ladies out there who don't have any meds during labor and delivery. That was awful!

          So Ellyanna Lynn Gibson arrived at 11:47pm on Friday, October 3rd, 2014. Weighing 7lbs 11oz and measuring 20.5'' long. Delivered by Peggy, RN. What a blessing she is! The 3 of us absolutely love the easy going, happy, smiley baby that she has been over the past 4 months! We love you SO much, Elly Bean!


A very excited big sister, Mady. : )





~ Our first family picture ~

No comments:

Post a Comment