Memories are timeless treasures of the heart.


Sunday, April 15, 2012

Labor...

Part I                    

                Everyone needs a “last hoorah…” or in this case, to at least plan one.  Since I was being induced on Friday, September 23rd, Matt and I decided to go out to eat one last time, baby free. I was really looking forward to a nice tasty dinner (especially since I knew I would be eating that wonderful tasteless hospital food) at Fratelli’s. But little did I know that our “going out to dinner one last time baby free” had already happened.

40 weeks and 3 days.
2 days before Miss Madalyn actually arrived.
(If only I felt like I looked like this.)
: )
              
                Wednesday, September 21st, was just like every other night. Matt pushed me up the stairs, I got ready for bed, and tried my best to get as comfortable.  Around  12am, I woke up and had to use the bathroom. At this point in my pregnancy, getting up at least 4 times throughout the night was nothing new. Ok, so I manage to get up, go to the bathroom, come back, get semi comfortable, and just drift off to sleep. Then out of nowhere, I start getting a slight cramp. Thinking that it was just like the cramps that I had been having, I didn’t feel the need to wake Matt up. The first cramp didn’t last long so I eventually drifted off to sleep…for maybe 15 minutes before another one came. Only this time it was a little stronger… then a little more… and a little more. Getting a little nervous, I grabbed my cell phone and started watching the clock a little bit closer.  7 minutes passed…then 8…then 7…then 6. Each time, the cramps were getting a little stronger. I sat up on the edge of the bed thinking, “Ok, is this the real thing? Should I wake up Matt?”
               
                Matt is known to talk and do hilarious things in his sleep…but he’s not the only one that talks. I have had my fair share of “words” with him. I seriously wonder if we have conversations...while we are asleep. Anyhow, we had always joked that when I went into labor I would tell him and he would mumble something, roll over, and go back to sleep. So I wasn’t quite sure if I should even bother waking him up. But I did. And I got the reaction that I thought I would.  Matt: “You ok?” Me: “Yeah, I think so, they just really hurt.” Matt: “Did your water break?” Me: “No.” Matt: “Ok, well let me know if you need anything.” He rolled over and went back to sleep. Nice. Called that one.

                With this being my first pregnancy I honestly didn’t know when to call the Doctor or when to go to the ER. We had asked my OB doctor at one of our previous appointments and she said, “When your water breaks.” Ok, easy enough…or so I thought. I got out of bed around 1:00am and started pacing back and forth from our bedroom to Mady’s bedroom. They weren’t letting up. I paced and I paced. I’d sit down in the glider and play “Words with Friends,” check my email, play other miscellaneous games, anything to take my mind off of the pain and the contractions that I was having. Around 4:00am, my contractions were around 2-4 minutes apart and the pain was starting to be unbearable.
               
                Unfortunately, we had missed the birthing classes the hospital offered. We decided to wing it. I really had no idea what to do to ease the pain. Finally, at 4:30, enough was enough. I woke Matt and up and told him that I hadn’t slept since 12, my contractions were 2-4 minutes apart, and I hurt!! He asks if my water breaks and says that the Doctor said to come in if it breaks. So I call labor and delivery and talk to one of the nurses. “Umm, you may want to mosey on in here,” was the reaction that I got. The nurse said that she would be looking for us. Matt hops in the shower quick, I finish packing his stuff while he gets ready, then I throw on a t-shirt, pants, and sandals, and out the door we go. (Thank goodness we only live 2 minutes from the hospital!)

                Walking through the ER doors, they immediately know why we are there.  I am placed in a wheelchair and off we go. Once in our room, the nurse has me change so they can hook me up, check me out, and see what’s going on…contraction wise. They hook me up, and right away the nurse says, “Wow, you really are having some contractions.” No kidding, honey.  They checked me to see how much I had dilated and I was only 3cm. Great. This is going to last forever!

                At this point, my sense of humor was GONE. I had never felt so terrible. Matt, on the other hand, decided that that moment would be the perfect time to practice his comedian skills. Needless to say, he was NOT funny. All I wanted him to do was shut his face and fill out those stupid papers that “Ms. Empathetic Nurse” (or lack thereof) kept coming in and asking for every 2 seconds. I mean seriously, could she not see that I was in terrible pain and the last thing on my mind was getting those forms filled out? I seriously couldn’t think straight. I was in so much pain. All I wanted to do was lie down…which didn’t help…or stand up…which didn’t help either. Nothing I did eased the pain.

               If I offend any nurses, I’m sorry…and you can correct me if I’m wrong, but don’t you think being a little empathetic, (especially working with people who are in terrible pain and going through something new) should be, well, umm, kind of important? Well this particular nurse apparently left hers at home (if she had any) that morning. At one point, I told her that I was really starting to get a pounding headache.” She looks at me and says, “Gee! I wonder why.” What I wanted to say, but didn’t was, “Thank you. When did you say your shift ended?” Later, I started to get super nauseous. I mention it to the nurse and she gives me this “really?” look, then leisurely walks around my bed to get that pretty pink tray. Too bad I didn’t throw up then because I may have “accidentally” saved it for her pretty little scrubs.

                After being at the hospital for around 2 hours, the hot Doctor walks in to check my progress. : ) He tells me that the baby probably won’t be here for another 10 hours or so and that I had 2 options.
I could stay there, get an epidural, and rest, OR go home and rest. Did he even need to ask? Of course I wanted to stay to get an epidural.  Several moments later, (but it felt like years later) they come in to give me an epidural. The pain that I previously felt wasn’t anything compared to the pain I had during this procedure. I was hunched over, firmly held down, and having the worst possible contractions, while they tried to get my epidural started. I had never been so uncomfortable and in so much pain. I seriously don’t recall feeling the needle go in at all. The only thing I remember is having what felt like blood running down my lower back and thinking, exactly how big and round WAS that needle!? (Here it was just the epidural working its way to where it needed to go.)  Matt’s poor hand was probably a nice shade of purple until they were done. Sorry, Matt.
               
                Once that epidural started working, it was a COMPLETELY different story. I had never felt so relieved! (Big ups to those women who make it the whole way through labor without any drugs.) Now that I was ready for Matt’s comedy acts, he was ready to go to work. I was surprised that he even asked me if it would be ok if he went to work since it would be a while before Mady arrived.  My answer: “Umm, no.” I did, however, give him permission to leave for a little to go grab a bite to eat since I wasn’t allowed anything but ice chips and popsicles.  : )

                Back to “Ms. Empathetic Nurse.” If Matt wouldn't have asked, she more than likely wouldn't have told us that she broke my water while she was checking me.  Being that it was my first time ever having my water broken, I kind of wanted to know. Apparently it wasn't a big deal to her and that it was "just another water that broke." 3:00pm FINALLY rolled around which meant shift change. Thank goodness she was leaving and wasn't scheduled to work a double. But, before she left, she had to get her final words in, “I hope you got your rest, because you are going to be pushing for at LEAST 3 hours.”  Thank you, you most encouraging, empathetic nurse that I have ever met.  

                Being a light sleeper stinks. Over the next several hours I was supposed to “get my rest.” Even as tired as I was, that was still next to impossible. I had tried to rest. No sooner would I shut my eyes, a nurse would come in to adjust my belly bands, check my IV bag, see if I needed anything… or something that prevented me from resting. Around 4:00pm they checked me again. 10 cm. “You’re ready to start pushing.” Wait, what, are you serious? I didn’t get to “rest” yet!


Coming soon: “…and Delivery.”

~Renee

No comments:

Post a Comment